[WG: I18N & L10N] Sakai Online Help - moving forward

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Thu Jun 27 12:04:57 PDT 2013

[ documentation, user, pedagogy, i18n, accessibility, dev, qa, prod]

Hi All,

At the Open Apereo 2013 conference we had productive discussion(s) about the Online Help tool. I wanted to give you a sense of where things stand and let you know how you can get involved.

To recapitulate - the existing Online Help tool has a number of issues and the consensus seems to be that we should retire it and find something that will better meet community needs. If you would like details please check the email threads, or check the video and/or slides from the conference here - http://lanyrd.com/2013/apereo/schtrq/

One exciting possible replacement is the Edia Knowledge Base Tool - https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/HELP/Future+plans+for+The+Knowledge+Base+Tool  . However, it has not been determined that this will be the solution, or exactly what would be needed to get the tool up in shape to meet our requirements, but it does have potential and is in production use at the University of Amsterdam, so it seems promising.

How can you help?

There are several things you might consider:

1) Participate to define/refine the community requirements - http://bit.ly/14XR94A

2) Consider helping with the planning and resourcing to make this happen. Yes, we need folks who can actively help to keep this moving forward. A few folks at the conference mentioned that their respective institutions might be willing to put up money to help pay for development. The more institutions who are willing to help, the less it would cost per institution. If we can get several institutions committed to moving this forward, it is more likely to happen. Defining the requirements (#1) will help us figure out how much it will cost to get done. Or perhaps institutions will offer development resources.

3) Other roles that will be important are Business Analysts, QA testers, and Content Writers, among others.

Note: I am not leading this effort, it needs to be lead by Community members like yourself. I am trying to get it started and happy to answer questions and serve as an initial contact point. Please email me with questions - neal.caidin at apereo.org

Cheers,
Neal Caidin

Sakai CLE Community Coordinator
Apereo Foundation