[WG: I18N & L10N] How long does it take to translate Sakai CLE

Daniel Merino daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Wed Jun 26 05:15:33 PDT 2013

I don't know if this idea could be even realizable, but just to share it...

There is a dynamic translation tool made by rSmart time ago (
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-18678 ) that stores translated
values into database and allows to see translations inmediately applied.
I think that this is the best tool for translators, as many of the
properties can't be properly translated without seeing them in their
context. IIRC, this tool had performance issues.

If this tool could write changes into properties files at a repository
and some script would merge these changes, a centralised translation
server could be set up. I think that finding translators in the
community is not hard but the technical knowledge and the authorization
required to commit changes is a big obstacle for them.

My 15 cents.
Best regards.

El 26/06/2013 13:30, Steve Swinsburg escribió:
> I wrote a little utility that automatically translates a properties
> file into various languages.
>
> https://github.com/steveswinsburg/auto-i18n
>
> It's been neglected for a while and I think the API it uses has been
> deprecated (oops) but it could easily be cleaned up. This would give a
> legup to anyone starting on translations. I realise that no amount of
> automation can replace a native speaker, but at least you don't need
> to start from zero.
>
> I am surprised it takes 6 months of time. That signals to me that we
> need a far better i18n strategy. Centralised properties files,
> reducing the number of duplicates, whatever it takes. A few months of
> code to save hundreds of thousands of dollars/euros/pounds/yen is a
> wise investment IMO.
>
> cheers,
> Steve
>

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 9:15 PM, Diego del Blanco Orobitg
> <diego.delblanco.sakai at gmail.com
> <mailto:diego.delblanco.sakai at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     As a first stimation, without enter in real measurement we
>     calculated some time ago about three months, 2 people working on
>     it. Translating and obviously testing the sense of the
>     translations and the correct behaviour of each screen.  For sakai
>     real trained people that knows code and functionality maybe a
>     little less.
>
>     Diego del Blanco
>
>     El 26/06/2013 12:17, "Jean-Francois Leveque"
>     <jean-francois.leveque at upmc.fr
>     <mailto:jean-francois.leveque at upmc.fr>> escribió:
>
>         Hi fellow translators,
>
>         While I've been involved in translating, I haven't been
>         involved in
>         measuring the amount of effort of the group doing the French
>         translation.
>
>         Do you have numbers that could help potential translators who
>         want to
>         plan a translation?
>
>         Cheers,
>
>         Jean-François

Daniel Merino Echeverría
daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Gestor de teleformación - Centro Superior de Innovación Educativa.
Lo importante no es saber, sino tener el teléfono del que sabe. (Les
Luthiers)