[WG: I18N & L10N] [Building Sakai] i18n BOF - stockholm

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Thu May 7 05:31:30 PDT 2009

Another +1.

I would have thought that this would be a prime example of a Sakai 2.x limitation causing significant pain to adopting institutions that Sakai 3 should be engineered to avoid or improve.

Regards
Stephen

Stephen Marquard, Learning Technologies Co-ordinator
Centre for Educational Technology, University of Cape Town
http://www.cet.uct.ac.za
Email/IM/XMPP: stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Phone: +27-21-650-5037 Cell: +27-83-500-5290

>>> "Adams, David" <da1 at vt.edu> 2009/05/07 02:26 PM >>>
> I'm usually the second-to-last guy :) but I think it can be argued
that
> extremely customizable open source projects like Sakai would be better
> off treating text strings as skinnable resources than as compiled
> source code.

+1

Requiring a source code rebuild to update strings is very unfriendly and
hard to maintain. We've found that we can override some bundles by
dropping an appropriately named file into tomcat/common/classes (is that
well-known?), but that's still troublesome, prone to error, and requires
systems staff intervention.

Maybe it's the best of all bad solutions, but it seems like this is the
right time to examine the question while Sakai 3 is still being
designed.

-dave