[gradebook2-dev] Question about course grade calculation (# of decimal places)

Thomas Amsler tpamsler at ucdavis.edu
Wed Apr 4 15:42:58 PDT 2012

Please see inline comments below:

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Jim Mezzanotte <jmezzanotte at rsmart.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to determine how many demical places Gradebook2 uses when
> calculating course grades.
>
> When you're entering scores (in points) for an item, you can enter up
> to five decimal places, yet the tool only displays to two decimal
> places.

That's correct. Please not that all gradebook2 calculations use a
scale up to 50 decimal places. The final numeric grade is then rounded
to two decimal places.

> One of our clients is using a custom final grade export integration
> with Banner. They noticed that, while course grades display to only
> two decimal places both in Banner and in the tool, the export files
> display to three decimal places.

What version of gradebook2 are they using? The latest version should
round the calculated grade to two decimal places in the export file.

> I'm assuming the export is exposing what Gradebook2 does behind the
> scenes--that is, the tool calculates course grades to three decimal
> places, and then it rounds to display only two decimal places. Thanks
> in advance if anyone can confirm, this is how the tool calculates
> course grades?

As mentioned above, it uses 50 decimal places to do all calculations
and then rounds it to two decimal places. I think in older gradebook2
versions, the displayed "Calculated Grade" wasn't rounded for display
purpose.

-- Thomas