[Contrib: Evaluation System] Changing jobs

Jim Eng jimeng at umich.edu
Mon Mar 5 15:36:38 PST 2012

I will be changing jobs at the University of Michigan in the next couple weeks.  I will no longer be working directly on CTools (The University of Michigan's Sakai instance).  Instead, I will be working in a group in the University Library focused on incubation of projects to support learning and teaching.  I will be joining John Leasia and Noah Botimer, two people familiar to the Sakai community, in this group.

This doesn't mean I will no longer be involved in Sakai, but it does mean that my day-to-day activity will no longer be focused on Sakai and CTools.  This week, I am working with other CTools developers to close out my work on a number of projects and hand off local responsibility for the projects in which I have been involved.

I can't give much information yet about what I'll be doing in the near future, but I won't be resigning my membership in various Sakai lists at this time, so there's no need to lament or celebrate my leaving at this time.  Please save that for later.  I will also refrain from making speeches or sending thanks to all the people who have made working on Sakai all these years such a divine experience and/or hell on earth.  There will be time for that later.

But maybe this would be a good time for me to annunciate some best practices.  Here goes:

1) You should all eat more vegetables.  Some of you have not been getting enough fiber.  I say this based on trends I have noticed in the codebase based on careful attention to subversion commits.  Since I have not been using GIT, I can't say much about OAE committers, but I suspect this advice could be doubled over there.

2) Keep lists of best practices to one or two items.  Eyes glaze over and arguments break out if you go beyond that.  It gets ugly.

More later.

Jim