[Contrib: Evaluation System] Reporting on hierarchy node specific items

Will Humphries whumphri at vt.edu
Sat Nov 13 05:28:33 PST 2010

What would everyone think about the following change...

Reports only display items which are associated with a hierarchy node if
that hierarchy node is above *at least 1* of the eval groups the report
is assigned to.

I'm not sure about the cleanest and best performing way to make that
change, but I'd like to see if it seems like a good idea before I try
anything out. Are there any other schools using (or planning to use)
hierarchy who will rely on the tool's out-of-the-box reporting for some
users for some period of time?

Here's an example, if it's not clear what this change would do

I set up a hierarchy like this:
Virginia Tech
|__College of Natural Resources (assigned group: Intro to Natural Resources)
|__College of Engineering (assigned group: Engineering is Fun)
|__College of Arts (assigned group: Art History)

I make a template with the following items:
1. Rate your school (no hierarchy node)
2. Rate your fun with Engineering (College of Engineering node)
3. Rate your love of the Arts (College of Arts node)

I assign the evaluation to the Virginia Tech node.

A report is generated for 2 groups: Intro to Natural Resources and
Engineering is fun.
Current behavior: Items 1, 2, and 3 are shown. Item 3 will have 0
Proposed behavior: Items 1 and 2 are shown. Since Item 3 is assigned to
a node which is not above any of the groups this report is for, it is
not shown.

-Will