[Contrib: Evaluation System] Changes to default behavior

Sean DeMonner demonner at umich.edu
Wed May 5 08:39:49 PDT 2010

We added a control to hide these links because it is possible to inadvertently trigger very long running queries with an errant click when a large number of templates and/or evaluations are loaded.

I agree that the default OOTB setting should not be to hide the links, however. The default should be to have the links showing IMO.

SMD.

On May 3, 2010, at 10:29 AM, Aaron Zeckoski wrote:

> Fair enough, but not everyone (like myself) can make the conference calls.
>
> Also, if there is a reason for hiding all this stuff by default then
> please let me know what it is. I can understand someone might want to
> hide most of the functionality for whatever reason but making that the
> default seems like it would make for a very bad experience for admins
> who install the tool and try to use it.
>
> -AZ
>

> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Jim Eng <jimeng at umich.edu> wrote:
>> Hi Aaron,
>>
>> I think that may be a feature I merged to trunk a few months after lots of discussion on the list and in open conference calls for which the agenda was well-publicized.  But I'm not sure how explicit the announcements were about what the default settings would be.  So if it was done without proper announcement, I'm sorry.
>>
>> If it was my merge that changed the default behavior, I have no problem with changing it back.
>>
>> Jim
>>

>> On May 3, 2010, at 5:07 AM, Aaron Zeckoski wrote:
>>
>>> I noticed that someone changed the default behavior of the evaluation
>>> app (not naming names here). I think it would be better in the future
>>> to not do that without at least sending a note out to the list first.
>>> For now, I am planning to change the default behavior back to the way
>>> it was.
>>>
>>> In particular, I am referring to these 2 options in the admin config:
>>> Show links to My Evaluations, My Templates, My Items, My Scales and My
>>> Email Templates
>>> Show the "Evaluations I am creating or administering" box
>>> (Administrator widget) on the main screen
>>>
>>> By default these are now both turned off which means a user who
>>> downloads the tool and tries to use it will likely be confused that
>>> they don't have the ability to access their evaluations through the
>>> UI. This was also setup so the super admin is affected by these
>>> settings as well which is inconsistent with the way most of the
>>> permission based settings in the tool work (i.e. typically the super
>>> admin is allowed to do anything even if the permissions and settings
>>> do not allow it).
>>>
>>> Please let me know if you disagree with changing this back to the way
>>> it used to work but I would need a really good argument to convince me
>>> that removing this by default is a good idea (especially for new
>>> users).
>>>
>>> -AZ
>>>

>>> --
>>> Aaron Zeckoski - Software Engineer - http://tinyurl.com/azprofile

> Aaron Zeckoski - Software Engineer - http://tinyurl.com/azprofile

SMD.

Sean DeMonner, IT Senior Project Manager, CTools Implementation Group
Digital Media Commons @ The Duderstadt Center, U-M      (734) 615-9765