[Contrib: Evaluation System] Question about EvalEvaluation properties

Jim Eng jimeng at umich.edu
Tue Feb 23 09:54:34 PST 2010

Hi,

We have been asked to provide a way to select rows from the
EVAL_EVALUATION, EVAL_RESPONSE and EVAL_ANSWER tables based on the
term-id and a local selector indicating a locally defined category of
evaluation.  We have two questions about this work.

1) We found that there is already a "TERM_ID" column in the
EVAL_EVALUATION table, which corresponds to the termId field of an
EvalEvaluation.  It seems that this field is never set and never
accessed in the trunk code, other than in import logic used only at
Michigan.  This field seems to match our need perfectly unless it is
already being used by someone else for some conflicting purpose that
would cause a problem later.  So the question is this: Is anybody
using the "termId" property in your current mods to the EVALSYS code?
If so, can you give us a little info about how you use it?

2) We would like to add a String field named "localSelector" in the
EvalEvaluation class (along with appropriate setter and getter
methods), which would map to a new column named "LOCAL_SELECTOR" in
the EVAL_EVALUATION table. The property would be defined as follows:

    /**
	* Optional field never used by EVALSYS code. May be used to mark
records for bulk actions.
	* For example, an import operation might set a value that will be
persisted and can be used
	* later to select records for export, deletion, etc.  Maximum length
is 80 characters.
	*/
    public String localSelector;

And the hibernate mapping would be defined as follows:

         <property name="localSelector" type="java.lang.String">
         	<column name="LOCAL_SELECTOR" length="255" />
         </property>

Can anybody see any problem with this?

Thanks.

Jim