[Contrib: Evaluation System] Showing hierarchy nodes in template &process question

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Thu Jul 23 11:05:08 PDT 2009

Hi Ellen,

Firstly, for the specific issues that you mention, the best starting point is to create JIRAs with screenshots illustrating what you consider the problem.

The general issues are a symptom of the lack of project management and overall UX design bringing together the various requirements into a coherent whole (rather than ad-hoc UX for specific features for specific universities). So yes, I think if as a group of institutions we can pay more attention to that, everyone's interests will be met.

There are 2 practical issues right now which make it hard for institution X (in this specific case, UCT made the code changes which resulted in the issues you identify below) to make changes with confidence that they will not impact negatively on everyone else, viz.

(a) There is not much feedback from the list when people bring up specific issues - e.g. in the case of our template editing changes, we created a JIRA, added screenshots, etc. and asked for feedback some time ago. The only feedback we got was from CARET which did some useful testing, and some broad general "that would be nice" feedback, but nothing at the detail of "if it changes like this, it will impact on us in XYZ way".

(b) Generally the project participants don't know how other institutions are using the code (given the multiple branches, different feature usages, etc.). If we all share screencasts or a set of screenshots covering our local functionality (end-to-end process) in the near future, it will help both existing sites manage development planning better as well as inform potential adopters.

I will post another email about template editing UX so we don't get threads mixed up.

Cheers
Stephen

>>> Ellen Yu Borkowski <eyb at umd.edu> 7/23/2009 7:53 PM >>>
Hi all

I'm slowly getting to each step of creating evaluations in the latest
code and have encountered the next thing that is working differently
that needs to be "fixed" (?).  In the 1.2 tag that we are using, when
one creates a template and assigns groups or items to a hierarchy
node, the hierarchy node was displayed in the template.  I don't see
that displayed anymore.  Also, what used to be displayed was the
category (group/course, evaluatee/instructor) along with the scale
used, etc.  That is all not being displayed anymore - only the type is
being shown (i.e. stepped).

So, this brings me to an overall question about process (still feeling
somewhat like a "newbie" so forgive my ignorance).  As institutions
add code and functionality to the tool that is submitted to trunk,
what are the guidelines about what things "stay" and what things "go
away"?  The example I have above is important for Maryland to have as
we use hierarchy and need to be able to quickly see which node is
assigned which items.  Yet, this has gone away with the latest updates.

Will the teams we talked about at the conference help in this
process?  Or, do we need to work on some guidelines for the wiki page
that we will all follow?  In the same vein, how do we all make sure as
we add things, we don't "break" the institution specific settings that
are in trunk?

Thanks in advance for any insights/comments/suggestions.

Ellen
---
Ellen Yu Borkowski
Director, Academic Support