[Contrib: Evaluation System] Showing hierarchy nodes in template &process question

Ellen Yu Borkowski eyb at umd.edu
Thu Jul 23 11:16:07 PDT 2009

Stephen

Thanks - this is helpful and I am sorry I missed the email you sent
when you created a JIRA with screenshots.  I was probably deep into
deployment at Maryland and didn't pay attention to that particular
email.

So, I will work on the screencast/screenshots for our version at
Maryland and get that up on the wiki to start this process.

Ellen

On Jul 23, 2009, at 2:05 PM, Stephen Marquard wrote:

> [...]
> institutions we can pay more attention to that, everyone's interests
> will be met.
>
> There are 2 practical issues right now which make it hard for
> institution X (in this specific case, UCT made the code changes
> which resulted in the issues you identify below) to make changes
> with confidence that they will not impact negatively on everyone
> else, viz.
>
> (a) There is not much feedback from the list when people bring up
> specific issues - e.g. in the case of our template editing changes,
> we created a JIRA, added screenshots, etc. and asked for feedback
> some time ago. The only feedback we got was from CARET which did
> some useful testing, and some broad general "that would be nice"
> feedback, but nothing at the detail of "if it changes like this, it
> will impact on us in XYZ way".
>
> (b) Generally the project participants don't know how other
> institutions are using the code (given the multiple branches,
> different feature usages, etc.). If we all share screencasts or a
> set of screenshots covering our local functionality (end-to-end
> process) in the near future, it will help both existing sites manage
> development planning better as well as inform potential adopters.
>
> I will post another email about template editing UX so we don't get
> threads mixed up.
>
> Cheers
> Stephen

> Hi all
>
> I'm slowly getting to each step of creating evaluations in the latest
> code and have encountered the next thing that is working differently
> that needs to be "fixed" (?).  In the 1.2 tag that we are using, when
> one creates a template and assigns groups or items to a hierarchy
> node, the hierarchy node was displayed in the template.  I don't see
> that displayed anymore.  Also, what used to be displayed was the
> category (group/course, evaluatee/instructor) along with the scale
> used, etc.  That is all not being displayed anymore - only the type is
> being shown (i.e. stepped).
>
> So, this brings me to an overall question about process (still feeling
> somewhat like a "newbie" so forgive my ignorance).  As institutions
> add code and functionality to the tool that is submitted to trunk,
> what are the guidelines about what things "stay" and what things "go
> away"?  The example I have above is important for Maryland to have as
> we use hierarchy and need to be able to quickly see which node is
> assigned which items.  Yet, this has gone away with the latest
> updates.
>
> Will the teams we talked about at the conference help in this
> process?  Or, do we need to work on some guidelines for the wiki page
> that we will all follow?  In the same vein, how do we all make sure as
> we add things, we don't "break" the institution specific settings that
> are in trunk?
>
> Thanks in advance for any insights/comments/suggestions.

---
Email: eyb at umd.edu
http://www.oit.umd.edu/as/staff/Ellen.html