[cle-release-team] [sakai2-tcc] Java 6 EOL

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Tue Feb 14 09:27:25 PST 2012

I did try to upgrade the source/target versions to 1.6 the other day. Compiling failed mysteriously and spectacularly about some UTF-16 (I think) characters in the source.

I tried to resolve it for a couple of files and was successful by removing the lines where they were in comments, just to see if I could pass. Clearly, this is not the right solution, but I didn't have time to research it properly. It's probably anywhere from 2-10 hours to research, find, fix, test. Unless someone knows the full story already.

This doesn't mean we couldn't upgrade the JDK; just need to keep source/target at 1.5 for now.

Thanks,
-Noah