[cle-release-team] [sakai2-tcc] Java 6 EOL

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Tue Feb 14 09:17:31 PST 2012

Yea, I saw this EOL too, sneaking up fast!

The Maven enforcer plugin in Sakai 2.9 is requiring Java 1.6 as of 2.9-a02

<requireJavaVersion>
  <version>1.6</version>

</requireJavaVersion>

However it looks like the compiler plugin is still targeting 1.5

<configuration>
  <source>1.5</source>
  <target>1.5</target>
</configuration>

Lately I've been compiling and running trunk under open-jdk and that's been
working fine. I haven't heard if anyone has tried with Oracle's Java-7.
Certainly we should know if it works or not as 6 outside of OpenJDK will be
harder to find.

I guess it's worth noting that Java 5 went EOL on Oct 2009, but we actually
aren't going to have a release where this is strictly enforced until 2012,
though it was recommended for the release in 2011 (2.8) and many ran it
fine with a few JAVA_OPTS against the release from 2010 (2.7) . . . Still a
year after EOL.

Ref:
https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/master/trunk/pom.xml