[samigo-team] Calculated Question Type & Math Functions

Sean Baker sean.baker at usuhs.edu
Tue Jun 19 03:35:38 PDT 2012

Hey all,

Just a quick question about where we all want to go with the calculated
question type - there have been varied commits to the base switching
back and forth between a couple of (math) function name definitions, the
ones which I've paid most attention to being those surrounding
definition of logarithms.  My suspicion is that the issue stems from
Java's definition of a base-10 logarithm as "LOG10", a base-e logarithm
as "LOG", and the fact that the original interpreter simply passed these
function names directly back to Java for handling.  Since, there have
been multiple iterations putting in "LOG" to mean a base-10 logarithm
and "LN" for a base-e one, as well a few variations on this.  As the
questions are stored uninterpreted, this ultimately poses a data
discrepancy issue and before we deploy here I wanted to get a sense for
what the long term will look like -- do we want to use the more
programmatic terms ("LOG10" and "LOG" to mean base-10 and base-e
respectively), or do we want things to act more like a calculator for
the user and use "LOG" and "LN" for those?  My own preference would be
for the latter as I think it will be more intuitive for users to
understand the data entry, but /a/ decision is more important than the
actual decision made at this point.

And of course, if anyone has noticed any other function names switching
between versions, please say something!

Thanks everyone!

--
Ne Desit Virtus,