[samigo-team] question about Data Discrepancy errors in Samigo

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Mon Sep 12 12:12:29 PDT 2011

>  What is the actual underlying condition or trigger that results in the
> error?

Bryan described a pretty easy way to replicate.  You can also replicate
using auto-submit:

  https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAM-1088

Stanford team, I have a patch submitted to that JIRA that addresses all of
Christine's last comments. Any thoughts on my patch?

>  We'd like to update the error message to more accurately reflect the
> cause and scope of the discrepancy, as well as steps to take to verify that
> the saved or submitted version is in fact correct.

There seems to be a bit of a push / pull here. The data discrepancy checks
can ensure that a user is not using two browser windows, but the problem is
that it is easy to use the back button and kill an entire submission.  If
you have a class of 500 CHEM 101 students, missing 25 submissions because of
data discrepancy issues creates a gigantic point of pain for the instructor.
 The instructor most likely stops using Sakai if convincing the local team
to modify the code does not succeed.

Considering how easy it is to trip up this error, and considering how
painful missing assessments is to the instructor (re-dos for 25 students is
not fun!), I think we should strongly reconsider our default behavior
related to strict errors in Samigo.

--Sam