[sakai2-tcc] [Building Sakai] Knowledge Base tool replacement for Online Help?

Roland Groen roland at edia.nl
Fri Mar 15 05:12:40 PDT 2013

*

Hi All,

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Let me go through them by
topic.

Sakai > 2.7: I know that Jean Francois Leveque did some work migrating the
tool to 2.9, I'm still awaiting feedback, but I'm quite sure he got it
running on 2.9. The only thing that could be revisited is the way the tool
installs itself over the existing help system. Maybe that can be done more
elegant in Sakai > 2.7.

Import / export: The KB tool lacks the ability to import the existing help
content because the University of Amsterdam wasn't much interested in using
the this content. Instead they started off with the content from CSU.
Unfortunately for the international Sakai community they translated it to
Dutch. From the content perspective, the import does does not have to be
complicated. The KB tool was inspired by the 3akai development, and has a
REST interface. The specific metadata needs to be added manually.

Searching, SOLR and ES. The original design of the KB is based on tables in
the Sakai database and an embedded SOLR engine. The motivation for using
database tables is purely because SOLR is not a database. We did not want
to complicate the Sakai infrastructure and therefore used an embedded SOLR
instance. I’m quite excited about Sakai getting a search based on SOLR/ES.
My personal preference would be ES because it supports multi tenancy and
doesn’t require the schema to be predefined. We’ve got experience with
solr, rebuilding the index when the schema changes is challenging. ES being
multi tenant would be great for supporting the KB tool, because a new index
for the KB tool can be created on the fly. With SOLR one would have to drop
in a new core to get a own index. For the record, I do think a central
Sakai KB service would be the best solution.*

Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards,

--
*Roland M.S. Groen*
roland at edia.nl

*Edia* - Educatie Technologie
Egelantiersstraat 141-143 | 1015 RA Amsterdam
*T* 020 716 36 12 | *F* 020 716 36 13 | *M* 06 2423 09 06 | www.edia.nl