[sakai2-tcc] Infrastructure discussion for future meeting?

David Adams da1 at vt.edu
Wed Mar 13 18:35:43 PDT 2013

Aaron Zeckoski wrote:
> I am all for having a modular system with swappable parts. You won't
> be able to use a classroom clicker with Sakai without some external
> system and hardware. That's fine. But requiring an extra server just
> to run it is not comparable to that situation. For example, I don't
> think Moodle would adopt something that meant you needed to run tomcat
> or a ruby server alongside your PHP webserver. I don't think I am
> "thinking inside the box" or "stuck in the past" or "not thinking
> about current tech" here. This is an app that people need to install
> on multiple platforms and the harder we make that for them and
> ourselves the less successful we will be.

It doesn't need to be harder to install. ActiveMQ or Apollo will run
anywhere Tomcat will run. Assuming a message queue is added, the real
question is where do you add the complexity--to the already overloaded
app, or to a separate OS process? As a deployer who sees Sakai's
monolithic process hitting practical limits of memory churn, I'd
prefer flexibility that comes with a separate process. It would only
be more complicated if we did a poor job of it.

> It is also nowhere near being a low hanging fruit issue like some of
> the others on the list that don't require changing the way users
> install and run the software.

The lowest hanging fruit is the stuff that gets people excited enough
to work on it.

-dave