[sakai2-tcc] Infrastructure discussion for future meeting?

John Bush john.bush at rsmart.com
Wed Mar 13 16:23:29 PDT 2013

So now that we got that all behind us, I've honed in on apollo mq for
a number of reasons.

1.  You can run it embedded (making the last really fun discussion irrelevant)
2.  Its faster than everything else b/c it has a non blocking IO
paradigm (like node.js),
http://hiramchirino.com/stomp-benchmark/ec2-c1.xlarge/index.html
3.  It has a JSON based rest api for admin, not JMX (puke)
4.  Language independent options: STOMP, AMQP, web sockets
5.  It can do a web socket transport:  awesome for the front end use
cases, no more javascript polling.  For things like chat, long lived
processed, etc would be really easy and slick
6.  Its written in Scala, I'm on a scala kick recently.  It just a
great pair for the non blocking io, scala functional components handle
those sorts of callback really well.

#6 is just for me, but I think the rest are on target in general.

I'll start kicking the tires around and report back, I bet it wouldn't
be too hard to replace the old messageservice code in contrib with
something like this.  Then we could talk about some new capabilities
we'd want to expose on top of it.

John Bush
602-490-0470