[sakai2-tcc] Feedback on GB Extra Credit minor feature merge into 2.9.x

May, Megan Marie mmmay at indiana.edu
Thu Jun 20 10:22:56 PDT 2013

Hi Sam,

Small enhancements may be applied to active maintenance release branches if they meet the following criteria:

1.       The change is narrow in scope (modest changes to a single project)

a.       MMM - Yes

2.       The change has been reviewed and approved by tool lead for the maintenance branch

a.       MMM - Yes

3.       The change does not require database changes

a.       MMM - Yes

4.       The change has been running in production for one month minimum

a.       MMM - Yes

5.       Changes that could impact internationalization negatively must be tested in two languages that are not variants of the same country.

a.       MMM - I believe this is N/A

6.       The change is non-disruptive to the user experience ( I.e. changes that don't require user retraining and are unlikely to break existing customizations). Exceptions to this rule may be made if the change is configurable and is disabled by default.

a.       MMM- I believe this would be adding capabilities and not impacting existing items so yes

7.       Prior to merging, the change must be tested with the target maintenance branch, by the requesting institution, using a documented test plan.

a.       MMM - yes

8.       The change must be preceded by a public announcement on the production and dev lists that alerts community members to the impending addition of a new feature in one or more maintenance branches. The announcement will describe the new feature, configuration options, test plans, relevant tickets, etc. When the change is committed a follow-up announcement listing the branch revision incorporating the change will be published. The information provided in such announcements will also be added to relevant release notes in JIRA, Confluence and elsewhere

a.       I didn't see this but I could have missed it.   If it hasn't, that one is easily fixable

The guidelines are in in https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/TCC/Maintenance+Branch+Merge+Policy.   My opinion is that formal voting should only happen when it's a change that breaks one of the guidelines.

Megan