[sakai2-tcc] Versioning question

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Tue Jun 18 08:24:05 PDT 2013

I agree with these 3 points:
On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Berg, Alan <A.M.Berg at uva.nl> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
> Chuck and Anthony were right of course, we should separate the
> conversation out. Here is the recap over the version question in a separate
> thread.
>
> The pluses for a major number change so far:
>
> 1) David Howitz, builds need to change so major number change is an honest
> indicator

It's not just the spring or hibernate, but also all of the new Keitai
entities that will be introduced. I think it's also time we break the EB
api for 4.0 and require all providers implement a version number which
would be in-line with this new version.
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-21959. Adding or changing the
providers after this would cause large compatibility issues for external
integration, but if they had a way to check the version the external code
could work around it.

This next version will also have a completely new (inspired by old) build
process, which would break any local deployers. So it is quite a major
change.

2)  Commercials prefer visioning in line with other products in the market.

This is also true. Even the linux kernel that was stuck in 2.x seemingly
forever (2.6.34) finally made a break and is up to 3.10 from a year or so
ago. Even though to the end-user not a ton has changed.
When Linux got bumped up, Linus had said, *"I decided to just bite the
bullet, and call the next version 3.0. It will get released close enough to
the 20-year mark, which is excuse enough for me, although honestly, the
real reason is just that I can **no longe rcomfortably count as high as 40*"
[1]., More of a recognition release than any technical reason, which is in
someways the same for Sakai, but in other cases not because of #1.

It seems all major products are just bumping the version. If it's called
java 7 by everyone, why still internally use 1.7?

I'd be more comfortable calling it Sakai 10.0 over Sakai 2.10. ;) (Was this
why you had the Sakai X in all your slides Chuck?)

> 3) AMB: Confident messaging, with some nice features and usages emerging.

Ideally some of the new tools we talked about at the conference (signup,
dashboard) will be in and others will be on toward deprecation. I feel that
the break to 4.0 probably should have happened in 2.9 but this next release
with all of the issues makes it sounds like just as good a good time to me.

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/5/29/204