[sakai2-tcc] Summary notes - Re: TCC - CLECC : Tuesday, July 9, 1 pm Eastern Daylight/ 5 pm GMT

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Wed Jul 10 13:48:04 PDT 2013

Please see below.

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Neal Caidin <neal.caidin at apereo.org> wrote:

> Reminder,
>
> TCC - CLECC meeting for tomorrow.
>
> Possible Agenda items
> --------------------------------------
> * Should we reduce TCC - CLECC to once a month? (I know, it keeps coming
> up for some reason.)

Yes, at least for people on the call, going to one time a month, instead of
twice a month, is preferred. I'll start a separate email thread to see if
anybody has objections, but otherwise once a month it will be. I don't take
it personally that people want to speak with me less often. I'm totally
fine. I'm sure it has nothing to do with my joke telling ability, or lack
thereof.

> * Sakai CLE 2.9.3 - advice on keeping it moving forward.

Just reiterating the importance of
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-23733 . We are still shooting for
a July release, but having sufficient eyes on the code and QA testing, etc
is critical. That seemed to be the consensus that fixing this issue the
best we can right now is high priority, even if it causes some delay in the
schedule (but hopefully not).

> * Kickstarting Online Help replacement for Sakai

Positive encouragement. There has been some traffic on the lists. Hopefully
this will take off. Not as much participation and energy on the lists as we
had at Open Apereo Conference. Suggestions welcome.

> * Status of Licensing and Audit efforts. Actually making progress.
> Wooohoooo.

Yes, thanks to Anthony we now have a list of all the folks with permissions
to contribute to svn trunk and I am comparing (Anthony as he is able) the
lists of CLAs in Confluence and Jira Infrastructure project to the list of
folks with permissions. It sounds like we will need to revoke access for
folks for whom we don't have a CLA for, once that has been identified.

I suspect that there may be CLA's "missing in action" (were submitted but
did not make it to the standard repositories) so I plan on sending out CLAs
and beg humble patience for those who are being asked to refill and
resubmit the forms.

Also, we updated the existing CLA and CCLA forms to reflect ways to submit
the forms that are supported. :-)  Concentra physical address, Concentra
fax, licensing at apereo.org email option and Jira Infrastructure option.
These have been posted to Confluence to replace old forms.

Our target timeline is end of August (and I realize that, though not an
exciting task, it is a really important one).

> * Apereo/Sakai Website redesign process - if anything to report

Mentioned some of the plans to link to some of the types of information we
had discussed at Open Apereo, so that collectively we can manage it better
and set expectations with the community, etc (not to be confused with the
Online Help initiative). Seth suggested that we put our efforts on hold for
the documentation project (I like the terms curated or canonical
documentation) until the larger website redesign is complete so it is
easier to see how we fit in.

> * Tools survey summary - idea for wrapping up quickly

This I started a separate email thread and will try to continue the
conversation there. But essentially I got some feedback to "go forth and
publish" what I've produced so far. As an aside, I think a suggestion from
earlier discussions was for me to do some follow up on some of the specific
comments we received. Summarizing the comments for community consumption
though, may be a tricky task? See separate email thread. I'll take the
conversation over there.

> * Broader community communications - considering ways to reach out
> better/more regular to community - Google Hangouts/ Webinars/ etc. How to
> determine community topics of interest? How to idenitify ways to engage
> community in more participation/ what they need?

A few goals might be things like:

goal - Community building (one I thought of after the call) - getting
people talking with each other and sharing ideas. Interviews with folks
working on interesting Sakai-related projects (as one example)?

goal - Encouraging community participation - Making visible areas of need
and figuring out how we can do a better job to encourage participation,
"lowering bars" to participation.

goal - Identify areas of education / knowledge desired by community to
better participate - Jira training? QA training?

goal - finding out the ways the community likes to be communicated with.
what are their communication needs, frequency and delivery.

Have not discussed the exact timing for such a survey.

May launch a new email thread for this.

* Josh Baron - Teaching and Learning (not originally on the agenda) -
general discussion about how to have teaching and learning discussions and
ideas fit in and collaborate with TCC. Alan Berg and Neal trying to attend
the Teaching and Learning meetings as one way to keep connected and keep
the conversation going.

> * Your ideas here (for a small fee)

No money collected. But I'm optimistic and setting up a Paypal account. ;-)