[sakai2-tcc] [WG: Sakai QA] Sakai CLE 2.9.1-RC01 testing

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Tue Jan 22 10:13:30 PST 2013

Clarifying to the release team and tcc,

I talked about this with Neal this morning, and this is a different process
than what was done in the lead-up to the 2.9.0 release. This was actually
what Chris Maurer did back at the beginning of the 2.9 release cycle.
 Prior maintenance releases (2.8.2) didn't have any release candidates at
all though it was easier to clean up (fix) anything incorrect as the
artifacts were in our repository. This is harder (not possible) when things
are in maven central, and master points to everything. What we're doing is
essentially building a pack-bin from the 2.9.x-all and testing against
that. If there are no additional merges done between that time then it
should be the same as 2.9.1. If there are blockers found merges needed they
will be made.

Nobody should run really the rc01 anyway outside of QA for this maintenance
release since 2.9.1 will come quickly after and I can provide the binary if
other QA servers *want* to run it. This shortens the release candidate
cycle from 2 days waiting for Jenkins and uploads and around 4-6 hours of
my time to 1 hour of my time and 1 hour of waiting. (If that, mostly just
to checkout, build, cleanup and redeploy)

Back when the rc03->2.9.0 was cut, it wasn't even guaranteed to be a
unchanged version as 2.9.0 was re-cut from 2.9.x (without fixed versions)
and re-released. The only issues that could cause a problem would be
introduced during the actual release process (binding to incorrect
versions) but I'm confident that those were fixed a few release candidates
ago and I'm pay a good amount of attention to the details of what gets
pushed.

I think this will be a good step going forward to help speed up the release
process and eliminate artifacts that clutter up the repositories.