[sakai2-tcc] SAK-22664: GB scalability issue

David Horwitz david.horwitz at uct.ac.za
Tue Sep 25 07:16:50 PDT 2012

Hi Guys,

I'd thought I'd give a heads up on a scalability issue in GB we
discovered this morning. I've jira'ed it here:

Basically certain paths will cause all degradable objects for a site to
be retrieved and then filtered to limit it to the students requested
for. This is done due to the limit of 1k objects that can be used in a
an in clause in Oracle. However it means that penitentially a huge
volume of unnecessary data is queried in certain situations (think of a
group of TA's accessing gradebook at the same time on a large site). The
site that alerted us to this is returning 30K records each time this
query is called.

The correct fix for this I think is fairly non-trivial, something like a
query for each 1K objects in the student list, or a database specific
query. A MySQL only fix is fairly trivial.

Any thoughts on this?