[sakai2-tcc] Enable shortened url service by default

Aaron Zeckoski azeckoski at unicon.net
Sat Mar 31 07:45:34 PDT 2012

Quick question for clarification for the group, if the property is
enabled and then later on disabled, do the URLs still work? In other
words, does turning off the option only control the UI elements
appearing or does it actually disable the service? Would the API calls
still work if the shortenedurl.implementation is commented out?

In other words, if this is enabled by default and I discover later
that I did not want my faculty using it, can I turn it off?

> When you say  '… we should probably not enable things of this nature…' it
> makes it sound like it is a huge change that affects everything, when
> really, it's very small, and doesn't affect anything unless a developer
> specifically codes for it. Like Conditional Release, you need to explicitly
> develop for it. It's nothing like the level of change that neoportal is, its
> a little service that developers can use.

Point taken. I mostly just meant that we have loads of features which
are off by default. It seems odd to me to bless a few of them over the
others. It seems like we should have some kind of general practice
beyond simply "someone suggests this one be on by default now" (or
maybe that's good enough, I don't know).

Not trying to pick on your request in particular (the functionality
seems useful) but it feels like we should define this process to some
degree. I would propose that only things which we are fairly confident
that 80% of the community wants to use should be on by default. I
realize that's not really prove-able or anything but it's a least a
rule of thumb to use when we vote on it.

Alternatives I can think of would be "as someone suggests it" or
"always off by default unless it was part of the original product" or
"new features should always be on because people can just turn them
off if they like".

-AZ