[sakai2-tcc] Letter to the OAE steering committee?

Mark Breuker mbreuker at loi.nl
Wed Mar 21 08:17:02 PDT 2012

Hi all,

As a non-contributing institution to the Sakai 2.9 release  effort (aham) perhaps it helps if I explain why we are not putting QA effort in 2.9. Usually we developing our local mods and own tools against the latest released version (in this case 2.8). We put local (2.8 based) releases into production every 3 months or so. Thus we have no short-term benefit in investing time in the next community release plus we simply don't have the time to spare. If on the other hand we could find a way where most of the tools / components are released more often (independent release cycles) and we could make sure they are compatible with multiple Sakai versions it would be more likely that we could contribute development/QA efforts because we would be able to use the latest versions. Creating a new (community) release would then be focused on selecting the right mix of core components and tools and doing integration testing.

In short: better alignment of community releases with local institutional releases would help in my opinion.

Kind regards,

Mark

Mark Breuker
Product Owner