[sakai2-tcc] [Building Sakai] Google Summer of Code 2012

Berg, Alan A.M.Berg at uva.nl
Wed Mar 7 01:56:51 PST 2012

I am looking at Learning Analytics at the moment (with a Surf Foundation grant). We are doing a small scale POC using BasicLTI to build a cross system tool. Trying to get data out to PIWIK (an open source tool roughly equivalent to Google analytics).  This would be good for student retention. Warning for example if a student has not logged into an LMS for a certain amount of time.  You could get richer information from going to Sakai's DB directly (modify sitestats tool), but then the tool would be LMS specific. The tool is aimed for Blackboard. Perhaps, if there is interest I could write a proposal for GSOC to extend to Sakai. That is if there is not a home grown tool already available.

A good example of a system  that already works in this area is the Signals project:
http://www.educause.edu/EDUCAUSE+Quarterly/EDUCAUSEQuarterlyMagazineVolum/SignalsApplyingAcademicAnalyti/199385

Regards,

Alan

Alan Berg