[sakai2-tcc] licensing question

Mark J. Norton markjnorton at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 20 07:49:10 PDT 2012

The MIT license is very similar to the BSD license, which is compatible
with ECL 2.0.  The following is extracted from
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php

    Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person
    obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files
    (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction,
    including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge,
    publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software,
    and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so,
    subject to the following conditions:

    The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
    included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

    THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
    EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
    MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
    NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS
    BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN
    ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN
    CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
    SOFTWARE.

There are no conflicts between this and the ECL 2.0 license that I am
aware of.

Incidentally, John might know this but most Sakai folks don't.  As of
the start of this year, I am the License Steward for the Kuali
Foundation.  In that capacity, I vette third party licenses like this
one to ensure compatibility with the ECL 2.0, manage the CLA/CCLA
process, and conduct audits on Kuali software for license related
problems.  I have offered this service to the Sakai Foundation, but have
been put off pending the Aperio merger.  It is my belief that both Sakai
and JASIG need a license manager.  The process have been very lax for
far too long.

- Mark Norton