[sakai2-tcc] Sakai 2.9 Skin Change

John A. Lewis jlewis at unicon.net
Wed Jan 25 08:42:16 PST 2012

Just a thought...

Another options with fonts at this point is to abandon the old "web
safe" fonts completely and use something more unique/modern via CSS3
@type-face. See http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/webfonts/quick/

Google has been building a great collection of open source fonts
together, along with an easy API for using them:
http://www.google.com/webfonts#AboutPlace:about

The fonts can either be used directly from Google or can be bundled with
the webapp to avoid that external dependency.

The Google fonts are generally licensed under the SIL Open Font License
1.1 (OFL), which is both FSF and OSI approved. From what I can tell, it
should be fine for us to bundle OFL-licensed fonts directly with Sakai
if we wanted to. We essentially need to treat them much like we would an
LGPL library. Some licensing material to review:
<http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=OFL-FAQ_web>
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=OFL
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#SILOFL