[sakai2-tcc] Agenda - Re: Invitations sent for TCC - CLECC meeting this week

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Thu Dec 13 11:14:57 PST 2012

The current JASIG incubation process provides a fine model for an Apereo incubation process as regards defining minimum acceptance requirements for new software initiatives.  It's less useful if one's goal is to review software already in production.  Earlier you wrote:

> I see a lot of value in ensuring that the current modules we have are maintainable, still meet licensing requirements, have an identified support team, are internationalised, and many other aspects, mostly technical. There is a lot of amazingly crap and over complex code in various modules that, whilst it still works, is a pain point for anyone making a modification or extension, and if someone had some time could have some love to make it better. That could be identified from the review.

This suggests a different sort of review than what is currently outlined by the JASIG incubation process, one that is rather more expansive and intensive than a software license review, contributor agreement check, support team check, etc.  Indeed, there is nothing in the current JASIG incubation process that touches on the subjects of code quality, maintainability, complexity, extensibility or whether a particular capability is accessible, easily internationalized, etc.

If I understand you correctly I would think that a review of the sort you advocate for existing projects is of a type that should be conducted periodically by the project steering group itself and then communicated outwards rather than be overseen by some other body.

> At the moment it is the Apereo board brainstorming a document for an incubation model for Apereo, and the current Incubation group is working on how to expand the Jasig process to cover Sakai as well.

Is the "brainstorming" doc public?  Does the IWG have any output from its current work available for review?

Cheers,

Anth

On Dec 11, 2012, at 10:06 PM, Steve Swinsburg wrote:

> Define a fully fledged project in Jasig. Is the example uPortal?

CAS, Bedework and yes, uPortal