[sakai2-tcc] Status of Websphere/DB2 support for 2.8.0

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Tue Mar 15 22:47:43 PDT 2011

There are actually 5 options on the table (the Swinsburg proposal does not trump the original set of options by virtue of being the latest option proposed).

PROPOSED OPTIONS

1.  Do nothing other than state in the release notes that the WAS module and Db2 conversion scripts are unsupported and not tested.  The hope here is that support will be forthcoming in time for 2.8.1.

2.  Consider the WAS module and Db2 support deprecated and state in the release notes and publicly via a TCC announcement that each will be removed as of 2.9.0 if community members are unwilling to support WAS/Db2.  If support materializes after 2.8.0 is released the status of WAS can be reviewed and changed.

3. Remove the WAS project and Db2 conversion scripts from trunk and 2.8.x and relocate both to contrib.

4. Remove the WAS module and Db2 scripts from 2.8.x but delay moving the WAS project from trunk to contrib until IBM provides a statement of how the plan (or not plan) to support WAS.

5. Treat the DB2 conversion script issue as separate from the WAS support issue.  Remove scripts from trunk and 2.8.x immediately, assuming we have confirmation that support for it is not going to continue.

WORK REQUIRED

Since we don't have an answer from IBM yet regarding their support plans, option no. 5 (as originally stated) should be eliminated as an option.  That said, I estimate the effort involved regarding options 1-5 as follows:

1. 15 minutes.  Append a statement in the release notes (Confluence) and perhaps also the release page (source.sakaiproject.org) regarding WAS/Db2 status.  I can do this.

2. 30 minutes.  Do no. 1 plus issue a statement to the Community regarding WAS/Db2 deprecation.  The TCC should issue the statement via email.

3. Unknown.  An audit of WAS/Db2-related code/scripts has been performed by Jean-Francois and can be found at https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-20243.  Unfortunately the sub-tasks do not include the names of the tools they are meant to represent (it might be helpful to edit the task summary and add the tool name).  There are 19 projects to be touched including the kernel.  In most, but not all cases, the task involves deletion of a Db2 conversion script.  The kernel includes Db2-spiced Java code in the impl, utils and private that we would want to deprecate.  Db2-spiced Java code can also be found in content and webdav.  The SAK does not cover pom work (quite easy) required to remove the WAS profile.  The kernel and maintenance teams are likely candidates for the majority of this work.  Then there is the task of moving WAS and any scripts to contrib.  Chris Maurer traditionally handles this activity.

4. Unknown.  Tasks same as no. 3 above minus troubling Chris Maurer.

5. 3 hours.  Remove all Db2 conversion scripts from trunk and merge changes to 2.8.x.  Maintenance team and branch management would handle this work.

Again, I recommend against pursuing options 3-5 (or some subset of them) at this stage in the 2.8.0 release cycle.  I prefer option 2.

I also encourage the TCC leadership to contact Howard Baker <hcbaker at us.ibm.com> and discuss with him further the issues at stake here.

Cheers,

Anth