[sakai2-tcc] We need a blog tool for Sakai 2.9

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Thu Mar 3 07:53:30 PST 2011

David Haines wrote:

> We shouldn't underestimate the potential positive impact of an
> "app store" on the release process.  App store installation would
> make indy tool releases / distribution / development much
> quicker.  With more installable tools the Sakai releases could
> focus much more on the core indispensable tools and kernel and so
> enable community development.  Current releases are held captive
> to the tool code that is slowest to be compatible with the latest
> release.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, what happens when everyone
is working on "cool app store tools" and not on the core
foundational things that they rely on? Why should we assume that
any "app store" is going to encourage community involvement since
it allows people to wall themselves off? We have any number of
"core indispensable tools" that a few in the community are
maintaining and few if any are actively testing.

Part of this discussion probably needs to include a review of the
efficiency of "indie" releases based on actual production
experience with large numbers of them, something that is fairly
new in this community.

Seth