[sakai2-tcc] JSF Upgrade for Sakai 2.9?

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Fri Feb 18 12:26:02 PST 2011

The biggest issue, as I understand it, is that the individual tools have to upgrade their JSF linkage. I was also under the impression that there was some porting needed (backward compatibility breaks, maybe minimal).

On the up-side, I am also under the impression that most (all?) of the ClassLoader.allowArraySyntax trouble we have is due to one of the JSF library versions we pack.

I am still in the camp that this "pick your own version" stuff has turned out to do more harm than good. As an example, we have something like 10+ duplicate copies of MyFaces and Tomahawk packed in the core Sakai distribution, to the tune of 30MB of waste each. That may or may not be a separate issue, depending on if we are considering framework refactoring for 2.9.

I am, however, not an expert here. Also, please note that I am not suggesting a shift to a finite list of UI technologies, but that a version for the "big four" (or whatever) be centrally provided, similar to how we manage Hibernate and Spring.

Thanks,
-Noah