[sakai2-tcc] No Meeting in Ann Arbor Spring Break

Ian Dolphin iandolphin at sakaifoundation.org
Tue Feb 15 02:52:51 PST 2011

From my perspective, there are a couple of elements to this.

I strongly believe that the primary role of the Foundation should be to act as a facilitator in this respect, and that project coordination should be shaped by those engaged in, and resourcing, project activity. With the basic conference organisation resolved, my next stop was to be to ask the TCC what shape it wanted the 2.x project coordination meetings to be. (The OAE Steering Group will be shaping the meetings the OAE project needs in the same way). This may be a change from previous conferences - but I'd like the TCC and active 2.x community to self-organise the agenda it needs for the event/s. I'm happy for myself and other Foundation staff to help facilitate this where needed.

I'd add one caveat, however. There are clearly issues around which the Foundation needs to facilitate activity by the community as a whole. Two examples spring immediately to mind in the context of the conference and coordination meetings around it. The first is in the area of resource aggregation across the community. I'll shortly be publishing the document I drafted, which the Board approved and some of you have seen, abolishing the PC and advocating the creation of better processes and organisational forms to aggregate resources across the community to address general and specific needs. I won't rehearse the full rationale here, but suffice it to say that there will be a conference event, aimed primarily at institutional resource holders, to develop this work further. I don't see that impinging on the project coordination time surrounding the conference at this time, unless as a brief report back on the final Friday - simply as an example of an activity where the Foundation can best deploy the slender resource it has.

Take the second example as a suggestion; it might be useful for those active in 2.x and OAE development to meet collectively to discuss any of a number of issues. A better collective understanding of the emerging u/c's for OAE Hybrid might be an example of such a topic, from my perspective.

That's maybe too much information in response to the question, for which apologies. Happy to attend any TCC call to explore further, or to amplify points in response to questions, of course.

And again, if you collectively wish to meet on the Sunday prior to the conference, please let me know and I'll do what I can.

Best

Ian

--
Ian Dolphin