[sakai2-tcc] 2.8 status, schedule and tags

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Thu Oct 28 08:37:02 PDT 2010

Hello,

This is an update about the current state of the 2.8 release.
It's important so please read it carefully.

All work on the 2.8 feature set appears to be frozen nicely, but
we are still behind according to the 2.8 schedule:

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/REL/Sakai+2.8+Release+Schedule

Specifically, we are scheduled to be moving to a beta tag on 2
November, but we won't be doing it because we aren't ready in a
number of ways.

First, as best I can tell, the QA resources don't appear to be
there. Alan probably has more detail on this which I am sure he
will offer an update he returns from vacation next week.

Second, I am not sure how far along the planned accessibility
review of "tools with Significant UI Changes" is. I sent some
mail to Brian Richwine and perhaps he will be able to give a
better update shortly.

Third, it's unclear to me what the state of the various and
sundry "independent releases" is. Some of them are probably in
better shape than others, but that's just a broad statement of my
opinion.

Overall, I think that lack of/difficulty getting resources for QA
is a very serious threat to this release. Frankly, I plan on
talking to Ian Dolphin about it, but I am interested in your
opinions and suggestions about how to proceed or corrections
about how my perceptions are totally wrong.

Seth