[sakai2-tcc] Cross cutting concerns and prompt patching during a major release

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Thu Nov 25 11:08:42 PST 2010

I count 102 open "contributed patch" tickets but as Alan notes the number covers all recorded time and if examined from the perspective of what we need to do today the gross count is misleading.  Leaving aside for the moment those contributed patches that may be languishing under "bug" tickets, a quick analysis of the 102 contributed patch tickets shows that 50 tickets were filed against pre-2.6 code.  Some of those patches might still be useful but that remains to be demonstrated.

Second, open unapplied patches are not uniformly distributed across the code base but are clustered; 20 unapplied patches or nearly 20% of the open contributed patch tickets are filed against Samigo; worksite setup and Site info taken together total 16 while the kernel totals 8.

The Samigo team has reported on more than one occasion that their local resource base places constraints on the speed with which they can accommodate feature requests, patches, bug fixes etc.  Site Info and worksite setup are currently maintained by a single developer operating in heroic mode.

A focus on people rather than process is what we need here to reduce the lags in the way we handle contributed patches .  If you want to reduce bottlenecks in patch processing it would do well to look first at how we as a development team can assist each other directly rather than to imagining that we can process our way out of these challenges.

Cheers,

Anth

AFFECTS VERSION (n=102)

2.8 = 3
2.7 = 8
2.6 = 41
2.5 = 20
Other = 30

BY PROJECT

SAK Project = 71

>= 3 open contributed patch tickets

Assignments = 3
Dropbox = 3
OSP = 4
Portal = 4
Realms/Admin Site Mgmt = 3
Resources = 3
Site Info = 8
Web services = 4
Worksite Setup = 8

Indies (tracked separately)

Basiclti = 0
Kernel = 8
Messages & Forums = 1
Polls = 0
Profile2 = 1
Reset Password = 1
Samigo = 20
Search = 0
Shortenedurl = 0
SiteStats = 0

project in (SAK, BLTI, KNL, MSGCNTR, POLL, PRFL, RES, SAM, SRCH, SHORTURL, STAT) AND issuetype = "Contributed Patch" AND status in (Open, "In Progress", Reopened) ORDER BY priority DESC, key DESC

project in (SAK, BLTI, KNL, MSGCNTR, POLL, PRFL, RES, SAM, SRCH, SHORTURL, STAT) AND issuetype = "Contributed Patch" AND status in (Open, "In Progress", Reopened) and affectedVersion in ("2.8.0", "2.8.0-a01", "2.8.0-a02", "2.8.0-a03", "2.8.0-a04", "2.8.x")

etc. . .

project in (SAK, BLTI, KNL, MSGCNTR, POLL, PRFL, RES, SAM, SRCH, SHORTURL, STAT) AND issuetype = "Contributed Patch" AND status in (Open, "In Progress", Reopened) and affectedVersion in ("2.5.0", "2.5.1", "2.5.2", "2.5.3", "2.5.4", "2.5.5", "2.5.6", "2.5.x")