[sakai2-tcc] Java 1.6 and Sakai 2.9

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Fri Nov 19 07:55:55 PST 2010

Matthew Jones wrote:

> As mentioned on the source install guide, "Oracle's Sun Java SE
> 6<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/>, a.k.a Java 1.6, is the
> preferred version to use with Sakai 2.7." [1] However there is
> still some confusion about what this means. As we know Java 5
> is nearly a year now past the End of Life (11/09) and also
> harder to find for new people looking for it.

We definitely need to clarify this for the 2.8 release. If no QA
servers are running or building under 1.5 -- I am ignoring the
target versions discussion for now -- then we can be more
confident in making a statement along the lines of "we recommend
1.6 and that's what this thing was QA'd on."

I have sent somemail to the qa-admins list about the use of 1.6.

> I agree with Seth that we should:
>
> * Make the decision to switch the compilation for trunk (2.9) to 1.6. Sakai
> after this version will no longer be guaranteed to be compatible with
> JDK/JRE 1.5 and apis/methods/libraries specific to 1.6 could be used if
> necessary.

Anyone have a suggestion for a date to move over definitely to
1.6 in trunk? We could just announce a hard cutover to
identify/re-confirm the problem points that exist even with the
workarounds.

Seth