[sakai2-tcc] ROLL CALL VOTE: override objections to retaining Hybrid patches in Login and Providers

csev csev at umich.edu
Mon Nov 15 18:09:01 PST 2010

I think that what we have established so far is that we really have two sub-groups in the TCC that have different agendas.

One relatively small group within the TCC that considers themselves "the people most involved in the core of the Sakai 2 codebase" and a larger group within the TCC that does not consider that smaller group the "the people most involved in the core of the Sakai 2 codebase".

On Nov 15, 2010, at 2:07 PM, Aaron Zeckoski wrote:

> Does no one else here see a problem with the fact that 2 of the people
> most involved with the core of the Sakai 2 codebase voted against this
> code change and yet it still went in?

My guess in this our current weird structure is a vestige of two things: (a) the foundation's statements over the past few years that Sakai 2.x is in maintenance mode and (b) the existence of the Maintenance Team during that period.  A reasonable interpretation of that combination is that the MT was the main decision structure for Sakai 2.x and had power over all things technical in Sakai 2.x.

In a sense, with the foundation and community is now taking the quite different view that Sakai 2.x is a product with a long life ahead of it and if the community had resources, we could invest in making it better and so we needed a way to coordinate out investment and other efforts resulting in the formation of the TCC in June.

At some level what we may be seeing is a bit of a power struggle between the MT and the TCC.  I could see how the MT might still consider itself the top technical decision making structure and members of of the TCC who are not members of the MT might see the world quite differently or even be a bit surprised that this is an issue.

I think that this is something we never talked about and that we may be walking around with very different world-views in our heads.

/Chuck