[sakai2-tcc] 2.6.3 and Java 6

Berg, Alan A.M.Berg at uva.nl
Wed Jul 21 08:24:33 PDT 2010

Cool Matthew beat me by a second:

Hi,

I have been running 2.6.x on Java 1.6 without issue since the start of testing. With the recommended Java_OPTS from 2.7 everything is going fine.

I do note the over obvious:

J2SE 5.0 reached its End of Service Life (EOSL) on November 3, 2009, which is the date of the final publicly available update of version 5.0 (J2SE 5.0 Update 22).

Therefore how long will organizations run 2.6.3 or above following our recommendations with a JVM that is way past end of life.

The top level pom.xml  amd also master/pom.xmldoes have a reporting stanza with a trivial link to 1.5 in the JavaDoc

<plugin>
<!-- javadocs -->
−
<configuration>
<debug>true</debug>
−
<links>
<link>http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/</link>
</links>
<breakiterator>true</breakiterator>
<verbose>false</verbose>
<aggregate>true</aggregate>
−
<!--
 allows javadocs builds to succeed
          <maxmemory>512m</maxmemory>
          <additionalJOption>-J-Xms168m -J-Xmx512m -J-XX:PermSize=128m -J-XX:NewSize=64m</additionalJOption>
          <version>2.3</version>
-->
</configuration>
</plugin>

 Further, I am actively looking for a QA lead for performance, to deal with these types of issues.  I have already contact with 2 well known figures on this subject.

Alan B

Alan Berg
QA Director - The Sakai Foundation

Senior Developer / Quality Assurance