[sakai2-tcc] Formation of the Sakai 2 Technical Coordination Committee

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Mon Jul 19 09:31:33 PDT 2010

Hello all,

At the Denver conference in June, a self-organized group of
community members met to discuss and form a Sakai 2 Technical
Coordination Committee (TCC) to both nurture and enhance the
Sakai 2 ecosystem. Proposals for this sort of group -- inspired
directly by the Apache Foundation's Project Management Committees
-- have been under informal discussion for at least a couple of
years.

As experienced members of the Sakai community, we feel the TCC
can work with existing community groups and processes to provide
technical direction, advice, and coordination. We believe this is
currently an unfilled need in the Sakai 2 community and that it
will further the long term development and health of the Sakai 2
project. More concretely, we have identified the following action
items to be addressed by this group by September 2010:

-- Determine final appropriate merges to the 2.5 code base
-- Triage 2.6-related Jira tickets, and merge tested and verified fixes to the 2.6.x maintenance branch
-- Determine the scope and schedule for an imminent 2.6.3 release
-- Determine the scope and schedule for a 2.7.1 release
-- Determine the scope and schedule for a 2.8 release

The 2.8 planning is already reflected in the discussions and
proposals made at the Sakai 2 planning meetings in Denver:

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/x/CBUhB

We will review this new group's work in September, and decide
whether the TCC needs to continue or be disbanded. Discussion of
our work can be followed on the TCC mailing list,
sakai2-tcc at collab.sakaiproject.org.

Sincerely,

Sakai 2 Technical Coordination Committee Members

Alan Berg (Sakai Fellow 2008, QA Director, Security WG)
Noah Botimer (Product Council, Portfolio Team, Security WG)
Matthew Buckett (Sakai Fellow 2010, Maintenance Team, Security WG)
John Bush (Security WG)
David Horwitz (Sakai Fellow 2008 & 2010, Maintenance Team Lead, Kernel Team, Release Management WG, Security WG)
Matthew Jones (Maintenance Team, Security WG)
Beth Kirschner (Sakai Fellow 2008, Portfolio Team, Kernel Team, i18n WG)
Jean-Francois Leveque (Sakai Fellow 2009, i18n WG, Release Management WG, Security WG)
John Lewis (Product Council)
Megan May (former QA Director, QA WG, Release Management WG, Security WG)
Charles Severance (Sakai Board, Security WG)
Steve Swinsburg (Sakai Fellow 2009, Profile2 Lead, Kernel Team, Maintenance Team, Security WG)
Seth Theriault (Sakai Fellow 2006, Maintenance Team, Kernel Team, Release Management WG, Security WG)
Anthony Whyte (Release Management Lead, Branch Manager, Kernel Team, Maintenance Team, Security WG)
Aaron Zeckoski (Sakai Fellow 2006, Maintenance Team (and former Lead), Security WG)