[sakai2-tcc] Roster tool changes

Daniel Robinson d.b.robinson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Aug 19 05:44:38 PDT 2010

Dear Sakai 2 Technical Coordination Committee,

Earlier in the year, Adrian Fish and myself at Lancaster University,
UK, volunteered to take over the development and maintenance of the
Roster tool. We have rewritten the tool in a separate branch using
JavaScript and Trimpath, and the plan is to move Roster to an indie
project. Details of the work are attached to the following JIRA ticket:

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-18778

We have tried to resolve outstanding JIRA tickets along the way. All
of the issues incorporated on the above ticket, plus sub-tasks, are
resolved. Once the new code is committed to trunk, we can close those
issues.

Details of new tool:

We have maintained the feature set of the old Roster tool.

We have maintained the same Roster UI with two exceptions: 1. some
small changes have been made to fix outstanding JIRA tickets (see
above); 2. some small layout changes to the Pictures view have been
made, and we plan on further developing the Pictures view to integrate
with Profile2. We plan on seeking input from the wider Sakai community
for new feature requests.

We have removed all executable code from the old Roster tool in the
new version. There is no API for the new Roster tool. The new tool
consists of JavaScript, HTML/CSS, and a SakaiProxy and EntityProviders
written in Java. The new Roster tool is a webapp that can be deployed
without restarting Sakai.

We have moved the rendering to the browser client, so content is
rendered more quickly and server load is decreased.

We have converted the localization bundles from the old Roster tool to
maintain the internationalization support.

We have reduced the number of tool/API dependencies e.g. the
dependency on the old Profile API has been removed.

If anyone would like to test the work for themselves, the code is
available:

https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/roster/branches/trimpath_work

Please bear in mind the branch is under active development.

If anyone has any questions or requires further clarification, please
don't hesitate to ask.

Best wishes,

Daniel and Adrian