[sakai2-tcc] Oracle Database Support

Beth Kirschner bkirschn at umich.edu
Wed Aug 18 13:57:06 PDT 2010

Hi all,

Michigan is looking into upgrading its Oracle database to Oracle 11g,
and I wonder if it's time for Sakai to revisit the supported database/
Oracle versions. According to our release page (http://source.sakaiproject.org/release/2.7.0/
), we support Oracle 9i and 10g. According to wikipedia (the only
place I could find an easy timeline of oracle releases), Oracle
released its database versions as follows:

• 2001: Oracle9i went into release
• 2003: Oracle Corporation released Oracle Database 10g
• 2007: Oracle Corporation released Oracle Database 11g

So this means we're supporting Oracle 9i (9 years old), and not
supporting the latest Oracle 11g release (3 years old). I suppose that
as long as we're running QA servers on the various Oracle versions, we
can count that as "supported", but perhaps there are other criteria
for "supported"? Michigan can probably offer a QA server running
against Oracle 11g, perhaps next year (2011), but the larger question
of what versions do we officially "support" needs to be decided by
some group...

Thoughts?

- Beth