[Using Sakai] WebDAV & Sakai

Charles Severance csev at umich.edu
Sun Feb 15 12:01:55 PST 2015

On Feb 15, 2015, at 1:21 PM, Marshall Feldman <marsh at uri.edu> wrote:

> So, to rephrase my original question, does Sakai support WebDAV client-server mounting at the level of OS X or Windows? In other words, does Sakai support genuine WebDAV as implemented on the two most common operating systems currently used in academia?

Marshall - Sakai has a WebDav that we are confident works with Cyberduck and *may* work with other operating systems.  There is no "formal commitment" that we will do "whatever" the OS/X or Windows operating system happens to do.

Having worked in standards and interoperability for a long time - just saying "we are genuine WebDav" is not at all a guarantee of interoperability.

Our WebDav code is based on an WebDav from 2004 and we have made a few improvements  since then.  The operating systems feel no compunction to be careful in using WebDav to maintain interoperability with anything other than their own implementations.  CyberDuck is more interoperable because since they are neither Microsoft nor Apple - they need to be a little more careful how they implement WebDav so as to remain interoperable.

Since our webdav is so old, it would take a lot of resources to try to find and fix all the issues to guarantee it works with Mac/Windows.

If we had a lot of resources, we might start over with a more modern WebDav protocol implementation like this:

http://milton.io/

So for now, we can use WebDav if it works but we don't consider "WebDav not working on Windows" a "bug".  We need to work on things like getting rid of iframes :)  Of course if someone felt strongly about fixing it - they could take the initiative and build us a new WebDav :)

/Chuck