[Using Sakai] WebDAV & Sakai

Marshall Feldman marsh at uri.edu
Sun Feb 15 10:21:20 PST 2015

I'm a little unsure of WebDAV's status or how the standard is governed.
According to the Wikipedia
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebDAV#Alternatives_to_WebDAV>, the
working group that defined WebDAV disbanded in 2007. Maybe this is why
WebDAV is so problematic today.

But I did a little searching and came across RFC 4709
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4709>, which covers protocols by which
WebDAV clients mount WebDAV servers. Assuming RFC 4709 is part of the
WebDAV standard, any server that does not support client-server mounting
is not WebDAV. It may be "sort-of WebDAV," "partially WebDAV," "kinda
WebDAV," or "nice-try WebDAV," but it's not "genuine WebDAV."

Furthermore, it's possible that a specific app, such as Cyberduck, may
have implemented genuine WebDAV mounting for file transfer. It may even
present what RFC 4709 calls, "an editable view of a ... WebDAV server."
But this only applies to files accessed by the app, and not the client's
OS. Apple claims its OS X operating system supports WebDAV
<http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13859>, and in my experience with WebDAV
servers other than Sakai, OS X does indeed support genuine WebDAV. By
providing workarounds for certain problems, Microsoft seems to imply its
operating systems support genuine WebDAV too
<https://support.microsoft.com/kb/912152>.

So, to rephrase my original question, does Sakai support WebDAV
client-server mounting at the level of OS X or Windows? In other words,
does Sakai support genuine WebDAV as implemented on the two most common
operating systems currently used in academia?