[Using Sakai] Questions about "external tools" settings

Jim Mezzanotte jmezzanotte at anisakai.com
Tue Jun 17 11:35:00 PDT 2014

Hi all, I'm trying to clarify how some of the LTI settings work for
the two approaches to adding an LTI-compliant external solution to
Sakai:

1. Add "External Tool" (formerly BasicLTI) to a site and then configure.

2. Add and configure the external solution via "External Tools" admin
tool, so site owners can add it via "Externals Tools" button in Site
Info (or via "Add External Tool" in Lessons).

First, I noticed that gradebook-related settings differ for each approach.

For the first approach (in Sakai 10), you'll see a "routing grades to
Gradebook" settings section. In this section, you can create a new
gradebook or, via dropdown menu, select an existing gradebook item.

For the second approach, you'll see an "Allow External Tool to return
grades" setting, but no ability to create a gradebook item or send to
an existing one.

Does anyone have experience with these settings and how they differ
from each other?

Second, I also noticed that Lessons-related settings differ for each approach:

For the first approach (in Sakai 10) you'll see an "Allow the External
Tool to remotely install tools in Lessons" setting

For the second approach, you'll see an "Allow External Tool to access
Lessons API" setting"

Again, does anyone have experience with these settings, how they
differ from each other, and what they can accomplish in regards to the
Lessons tool?

Thanks in advance if you can can provide any info, or point me to a
place where I can learn more.

Best,
Jim Mezzanotte
Asahi Net International