[Using Sakai] sakai-user Digest, Vol 59, Issue 1

Regan, Alan Alan.Regan at pepperdine.edu
Thu Jan 2 10:41:41 PST 2014

Dear Gregory and Marshall,

What version of Sakai are you running?  In your version of Lessons, do you see the "Add Assignment" option?  This feature in Lessons allows you to easily add a link to any assignment in the Assignments tool.  You can keep clicking "Add Assignment" to add more links to assignments to list all of the assignments on one page.  (I created a mockup for a professor to demonstrate how to use conditional release to offer "solutions" to completed assignments.  Basically, I "Add Assignment" for the first assignment then "Add Resource" to an HTML page or media file.  I listed all the assignments and solutions one after the other on the same lessons page.  I made each assignment "required" and set conditional release on each link to the solutions to require completion of the prior assignment.  The requirement tree is linear, so a student must complete each assignment in order to see the relevant solutions.  That is, if a student completes assignment 3, the solution for assignment 3 won't be available until the student completes both assignment 1 and assignment 2.)

If you are asking for a way to do this in an HTML block with "Add Text" and the rich text editor, this feature will be available by default in Sakai 10.  I believe you can install the feature in earlier versions of Sakai, but I don't know the details.

I encourage you to explore the Sakai 2.9 and Sakai 10 QA servers to see the available features in Lessons.  Many of these servers are routinely re-built (some daily, some every 4 hours).

Sakai 2.9 QA servers (I usually use QA3):
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/QA/QA+Servers+-+Sakai+2.9

Sakai 10 QA servers (I usually use the Longsight server):
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/QA/QA+Servers+-+Sakai+10

If it would help, I could create a quick screencast of the options sometime tomorrow.

Else, I could see the value in a feature like adding a Table of Contents in MS Word but for assignments, to quickly add a bulleted list on a Lessons page with links to all site assignments (with a refresh button to allow an instructor to quickly refresh the links if new assignments are added or modified).  It would save adding assignments one at a time, but I don't know how complicated that would be to implement.  I could see the same for Tests & Quizzes or Forums, too.

Anyway, I hope something here helps!

-- Alan

Message: 1