[Using Sakai] Sakai 11: iFrames are starting to vanish - SAK-27774

Charles Severance csev at umich.edu
Wed Aug 6 21:55:48 PDT 2014

Hi all,

You have been hearing a bunch about the new responsive Morpheus portal and the removal of the iFrames from Sakai 11.   Lots of work has been going on.   Last night I committed the first of many changes to the portal code in trunk to start us down the path to being  iframe free.

If you go to the nightly server, that is built from trunk you will see that there are no more iframes except for the following tools:

Lessons, Samigo, Preferences, Resources, DropBox, and Home

If you want to a fun test, go to

http://nightly2.sakaiproject.org:8082/portal

Make an account, make a site, add the Gradebook and a few other tools to the site - then click the four buttons across the top of Gradebook and then click the Back button four times - watching the URL change.   No iframes, real REST looking URLs in the location box and flawlessly working back button.

At this point we have not done anything that is irreversible, all we did was change two property defaults in trunk.  You can restore yesterday's behavior by setting these back to their old defaults:

portal.inline.experimental=false
portal.pda.iframesuppress=:all:

If you are playing with the morpheus portal, the next time you so an 'svn update' the same settings and behaviors will be in effect.  The morpheus portal is inlining all but the above tools as well.

None of this will be put into Sakai 10 - it will remain in trunk for Sakai 11.

Over the next few weeks, we will be working on tweaking little markup glitches to make it so all tools can be inlined in both the neo and morpheus.   Lessons, Samigo and Preferences have small issues of markup conflicts, jQuery versions or local CSS bits that should be easily fixed to allow them to be inlined.  Home has four tools on a single page and there is no way to inline more than one tool on a page other than using portlets so the Home page is hard to fix.   DropBox and Home use Bootstrap Javascript and CSS and so they have significant markup conflicts between them and the portal - we may need to wait for morpheus to mature some more to get these two tools working in inline mode.

You can track what is happening at this JIRA:

If you find a problem that appears to be a markup conflict between the portal and tool markup, please file a JIRA and link it to SAK-27774 and we will see what we can do.

This is the first of many steps to a state-of-the-art responsive and iframe-free user experience.   Thanks for all your help and support.

/Chuck