[Using Sakai] Sakai 2.9 Orientation Tutorial

Charles Severance csev at umich.edu
Tue Sep 17 11:51:51 PDT 2013

Bryan / Katie,

This might be a nice time to make use of a nice little admin backdoor to slip some HTML/JS into a particular site's markup.

If you go into the site's properties in the admin editor and add a property

sakai:htmlInclude

And put in some JavaScript or any other HTML fragment, it will run on every one of the site pages and on no other sites.  And not require any code changes to the portal.

I use this to pop up an Olark.com chat tool up atop my CTools sites (screenshot).

It includes the HTML snippet in the background document near the site icon - so it is on the outer portal markup (i.e. not inside an iframe).  It does nicely allow you to slip a little special markup into a particular site.  Being in the outer panel, it can show up anywhere including atop content within an iframe.

Hope that helps.  I always try to avoid having to drop special code into the portal templates - it is enough of a rats nest already :)

/Chuck