[Using Sakai] Create small admin role

Kara Stiles kstiles at brutuspartners.com
Thu Nov 7 08:09:37 PST 2013

I had the same problem recently with the !site.helper realm, which is why
I've just started using a !user.template instead.  I like to call it
helpdesk (!user.template.helpdesk) instead of Junior Admin because helpdesk
sounds less silly.

So here's the thing with the !user.template.helpdesk (or whatever else you
might call the new template realm) - you can change any individual user's
user account template by changing the value of their "Type" setting in the
Users tool in the Admin workspace (change it from registered to helpdesk or
whatever else you chose to call the new template), but, you can only use
this method to change the type for *local* users.  So if you have a bunch
of external users and you want to change their user "Type," this method
won't work, because they won't appear in the Users tool.  They'll need a
local id in order to become helpdesk (or whatever you call it).

Thanks,
Kara