[Using Sakai] CLE vs OAE

Mark J. Norton markjnorton at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 27 05:11:01 PDT 2013

 >   I understood CLE is for institutes and OAE is for academies.

Actually, that's not the case.  Both are for both.

 >  Can anyone explain in simple words what is differences between CLE &
OAE?

The Sakai Collaboration and Learning Environment (CLE) is an open source
project that grew out of old, proprietary systems developed by Michigan,
Indiana, Standford, and MIT.  The latest version is 2.9.2 and is
considered a stable, mature course management system.  The Open Academic
Environment (OAE) was (at one point) intended to be "the next
generation" of Sakai.  It grew out of lessons learned in the development
of the CLE.  I believe the latest version is 1.4.3 and is still in
active development. Cambridge University is leading this effort.  The
OAE is intended to be more content-focused using plugin widgets than the
CLE, which is site-course-focused using tools.

 >  Do they have separate source code?

They are completely separate code bases.  The CLE is kept in a
Subversion repository (see source.sakaiproject.org/svn).  The OAE is
kept on GitHub (https://github.com/sakaiproject/OAE-Builder)

- Mark Norton