[Using Sakai] sakai-user Digest, Vol 49, Issue 27

Marshall Feldman marsh at uri.edu
Tue Mar 19 09:11:51 PDT 2013

Using the method I described earlier, the link to the pdf can be set to
open a new window/tab. If the student's browser has a built-in pdf
reader (e.g. Chrome), this feature is already implemented.

I believe Firefox has a plugin that yields this capability. Depending on
the browser, one might also configure it to open something like Acrobat
Reader installed as an app on the student's computer.
Worse-comes-to-worse, the pdf is downloaded and opened on the student's
computer.

     Marsh Feldman

On 3/19/13 11:58 AM, Francesca Socolick wrote:
> Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 11:58:13 -0400
> From: Francesca Socolick <francesca.socolick at nyu.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Using Sakai] [DG: Teaching & Learning] [sakai2-tcc]
> 	[DG:, Open Forum] Possible update to Syllabus tool
> To: Marshall Feldman <marsh at uri.edu>
> Cc: sakai-user at collab.sakaiproject.org
>
> Alot of our faculty opt to simply attach a PDF version of their syllabus
> into the Syllabus tool (so the item just contains a link to the document
> which is then downloaded to their local machine) -While this does not make
> full use of the Syllabus tool (rich text editor >> interactive syllabus)
> its how our users seem to be adopting/interpreting the technology.
>
> Therefore, some sort of PDF reader within the Syllabus tool, similar to
> when a user adds Multimedia content via the Lessons tool, would be a cool
> option to see integrated into the rich text editor.
>
> --Francesca
>
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Marshall Feldman <marsh at uri.edu> wrote:
>
>>   For two semesters now, I've had success using the Lessons tool for my
>> syllabi. I create a long syllabus, with course policies, grading schemes,
>> etc. as a pdf, and I create a very abbreviated Lessons page with nothing
>> but a table containing a week-by-week list of topics, assigned reading,
>> assignment available/due dates, exam dates, etc. At the top of the Lessons
>> page I put my contact information and a link to the pdf version of the
>> Syllabus. I assign the long version as a reading assignment for the first
>> week. After that, the students just use the short version unless they need
>> to look up a policy. The short version appears as a tab to the left,
>> relabeled "Syllabus."
>>
>> Enhancements to this implementation would include (1) some kind of
>> accordion to open/close rows of the table when they are/are not needed, (2)
>> a gizmo that automatically scrolls the focus to the row for the current
>> date, and (3) an automatic date maker that maps each row or something like
>> "Week 10" to the current date and add the date to the table (e.g., "Week
>> 10, March 18-24"). These probably can be implemented easily using jQuery,
>> but I haven't had the time.
>>
>> This seems to address Ann's concerns, it does more than just add an
>> accordion feature to the Syllabus tool, it offers great flexibility to the
>> instructor, and it's available now.
>>
>>      Marsh Feldman
>>
>> On 3/19/13 9:34 AM, sakai-user-request at collab.sakaiproject.org wrote:

>> Message: 1
>> Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:23:49 -0700
>> From: Katie Golus <kgolus at antioch.edu> <kgolus at antioch.edu>
>> Subject: Re: [Using Sakai] [DG: Teaching & Learning] [sakai2-tcc] [DG:
>> 	Open Forum] Possible update to Syllabus tool
>> To: "Jensen, Ann E" <aj14 at txstate.edu> <aj14 at txstate.edu>
>> Cc: "end-user-support at collab.sakaiproject.org" <end-user-support at collab.sakaiproject.org>
> [...]

Dr. Marshall Feldman, PhD
Director of Research and Academic Affairs
CUSR Logo
Center for Urban Studies and Research
The University of Rhode Island
email: marsh @ uri .edu (remove spaces)

      Contact Information:

        Kingston:

202 Hart House
Charles T. Schmidt Labor Research Center
The University of Rhode Island
36 Upper College Road
Kingston, RI 02881-0815
tel. (401) 874-5953: