[Using Sakai] Decouple open/start dates for assignments?

Gregory Guthrie guthrie at mum.edu
Wed Sep 5 05:54:16 PDT 2012

Thanks, this sounds like just what I want.

If they can see the assignment, they can start on it – but not submit till the assignment open date – perfect!
I am assuming that their description "see it but not act on it" just means not yet submit it, which is fine.

So far we have been using binary installs, looks like this will push us to start a local build and find out how to install patches! ☺

Hi Gregory,

There is something similar to what you are asking for in a patch for group submissions in the Assignments tool - https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-22282 : "This patch also includes an optional visible date feature. If visible date set, student can see assignment but cannot submit/save yet. This feature is driven by a need for us to show students upcoming tasks but not allow them to act on them until the open date. "

This sounds like it might be slightly different from what you need though, since you want to allow the students to start the tasks early? But that is what the Open date does, it makes the Assignment visible and allows the student to take it, which meets both of your requirements? I guess I'm confused about what you are needing?

Cheers,
Neal Caidin